NOTE FROM MS. JANE:
Well, this is weird…..the last Growing Times for me. To say this is bittersweet is an understatement. I have thoroughly loved Grow to Know with all the laughs, tears, schedules, Covid restrictions, programs, snow days, staff, parents, and especially those sweet little children. I have learned so much from everyone connected to GTK, and love all the cute little stories and antics.
Thank you for sharing your children with me, for trusting me (and GTK) with their educational foundation, for allowing me to part of your family, and being so patient and understanding with everything. There has been no greater joy than sharing “life” with you and your family.
As I step away, I will continue to pray for Grow to Know, the families, the staff, and the children as they make their way in life. As you know, GTK has the BEST kids and families.
Not only am I transitioning away from GTK, but my husband, Mike, and I are also moving. (What was I thinking—retire AND move????) We sold our house where we have lived for 29 years raising a family and are moving to Table Rock Lake. And, yes, I kind of planned the garage sale with me in mind…. and as I brought in my carloads of treasures, I think GTK should make a fortune!!!
As soon as a replacement for the Grow to Know Director has been hired, I will let everyone know. The church is working hard to get someone in place so continue to pray for the right person to lead Grow to Know.
Thanks, again, for everything.
Licensing has come and gone! We passed—thanks to everyone doing their part—including the parents getting the paperwork back to us. Thank you.
There are a few things we had to send in:
- Picture of the playground with the new mulch. It wasn’t safe for children when she was here so she had to see the new mulch after it was put in.
- A form that states we share the common restrooms with the church. Since the common area restroom doors lock, we have to send in an exemption form.
- GTK can always use the following items:
- Sand for the sand box
- Sidewalk chalk
- Save the following items for the STEAM Room:
- Paper towel and toilet paper holders
- Paper cups
GROW TO KNOW UPDATES
- Rachel Crawford will be the new Lead Teacher in the Peach Room beginning the middle of May!!! Ms. Rachel is coming to us with experience from other preschools and and is very excited to start at GTK.
- Ms. Hannah Galler will be around to assist in the transition before she moves to the school age program for the summer. Thank you to Hannah for stepping up in the transition.
- Have you seen the new mulch? Have you heard the stories about the new mulch? Did you see the pictures of the crane dumping the mulch? You must walk on the new mulch…it is so fun to walk/jump on!
- It was heard several times throughout that day, “This is the BEST day ever.” It was so fun the watch the kids cheering for the mulch, praying for no rain, and running/jumping on the new mulch. I would agree that it was a grand day. To top it off, Ms. Crystal brought in puppies which added more excitement to an already exciting day.
- Thank you for your patience throughout the process. It was certainly worth the wait.
- Summer at GTK:
- There will be one Pre-K class for the children NOT going into kindergarten in the fall. Miss Molly will be their teacher.
- There may be some early movement in the other classes. You will be notified if we move your child into the next class beginning in the summer.
- Summer Themes:
- Week of June 6: Camping/Fishing Week
- Week of June 13: Bug Week
- Week of June 20: Under the Sea Week
- Week of June 27: In the Sky Week
- Week of July 4: Red, White, Blue Week
- Week of July 11: Game Week
- Week of July 18: Farm Week
- Week of July 25: Community Helper Week
- Week of August 1: Travel Week
- Week of August 8: Circus Week
- Fall at GTK:
- Class placements are coming soon. The class lists are being finalized.
- Enrollment paperwork will be required for the 2022-23 school year.
- GTK will not open any new classrooms for the fall.
- At the time of this writing, Grow to Know plans to keep the same hours for the 2022-23 school year (7:00-5:30).
The garage sale is here! Have you cleaned out your closets? Have you cleared your calendar for shopping fun? Tell your friends and neighbors about the garage sale. The money will be used for the following:
- New ground cover for the “Little Playground.”
- GTK wants to have a “play/reading space” by design for the toddlers. We want to have an age appropriate space for the toddlers that is just as amazing as the STEAM Room upstairs for the older kids.
- The Pre-K classes are preparing sweet treats or snacks to sell at the garage sale. Anyone is welcome to make something for the Pre-K Bake Sale. The proceeds will be used for the Pre-K fun!
TEACHER APPRECIATION WEEK
May 2-6 is Teacher Appreciation Week! We certainly want the GTK staff, including Gary’s maintenance staff, to feel appreciated and loved so we will celebrate all week. The staff are the heart and soul of GTK. They go above and beyone each and every day. Thank you for helping us celebrate the staff.
- Pre-K Graduation:
When: Thursday, May 19, 2022 @ 4:00
Where: Schweitzer Sanctuary
Who: The Pre-K children going into Kindergarten in August, 2022. If you child is leaving GTK to attend a Pre-K in a different setting, we will recognize the child at the celebration but the child will not participate in the actual graduation ceremony.
- Pre-K students will remain in the the Pre-K classrooms until June 3.
- Pre-K Party at the Park with hotdogs. Parents are invited. (We need to know if you are planning to attend and the number attending so we have enough food.)
When: Friday, May 20, 2022 @ 10:00-1:00.
Where: The Pre-K classes will be traveling to the Living Memorial Park by the Nature Center (NOTE: change of location) for play and hotdogs. Watch Dojo for the future details.
- Visit to Pittman Elementary: On May 16, the Pre-K classes will visit Pittman Elementary to see the common areas of any schools: gym, nurses’ office, kindergarten classroom, playground, gym/lunchroom, etc.
- Watch Class Dojo for field trip plans and other fun things.
GROW TO KNOW KIDS:
- June 6: First day for GTK Kids.
- GTK Kids space.
- GTK Kids will utlilze the space upstairs.
- GTK Kids will eat breakfast, lunch, and snack in the gym.
- GTK Kids will utilize the fenced in playground.
- GTK Kids will have drop-off in the gym to assist with staffing.
- July 4: CLOSED
- August 11: Last day for GTK Kids.
- “Like” GTK Kids (School Age) Facebook page for updates.
- GTK Kids space.
Conscious Discipline by Becky Bailey is a great tool for parents (and teachers) as we try to manage/change/understand behaviors. Becky Bailey states, “ You love your children, but if you’re like most parents, you don’t always love their behavior.” Conscious Discipline focuses on self-control and confidence-building for both teachers/parents and child.
Check out Becky Bailey’s book,“Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline” as a great parent resource. The seven discipline skills are:
1. The Skill of Composure: Living the values you want your child to develop teachers integrity.
2. The Skill of Assertiveness: Saying no and being heard teaches respect.
3. The Skill of Making Choices: Building self-esteem and willpower teaches commitment.
4. The Skill of Encouragement: Honoring your children so they can honor you teaches interdependence.
5. The Skill of Attributing Positive Intent: Turning resistance into cooperation teaches cooperation.
6. The Skill of Empathy: Handlind the fusses and the fits teaches compassion.
7. The Skill of Consequences: Helping children learn from their mistakes teaches responsibility.
DID YOU KNOW????
· That GTK has about 70 employees?
· That the GTK staff are required to have 12 hours of professional development each year?
Check out the Schweitzer website at www.schweitzer.church for classes, updates, and news.
Join Schweitzer at 9:00 and 10:45 for Sunday church services if you are looking for a church home.
- Grow to Know Hours: 7:00-5:30. You will charged $5.00 per minute after 5:30 PM.
- Please call the office OR post on the GTK Facebook page if your child is going to be absent or will be arriving after 9:00. (The kitchen staff does lunch counts starting at 9:00.)
- A $15.00 late fee is applied to late payments and balances carried over. If you have specific questions, contact the office.
- Grow to Know has a private Facebook page for the GTK families and staff, so “Like” us on Facebook. Check out the Grow to Know website (www.gtkpreschool.com).
- We bill on Mondays for the week.
Bible Verse for May:
CALENDAR OF EVENTS:
6,7: Garage Sale (6th @ 7:00-5:30, 7th @ 8:00-12:00)
19: Pre-K Graduation @ 4:00
20: Pre-K Party at the Park @ 10:00-1:00
6: GTK Kids begins
11: Last day for GTK Kids
11: Meet the Teacher
11: End of Summer Bash—watch for details
12: GTK CLOSED! This is a day for Staff Training
15: First day of the school year