Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.Proverbs 22:6
NOTE FROM MS. JANE:
It’s hard to believe everything that has happened in the last year. I could never imagined us shutting down for 5 weeks, adjusting the hours, changing/adjusting check in/out protocol, parents not allowed in the building, taking temps every day, wearing masks, not being able to combine groups, checking with the health department multiple times a week, closing classrooms, and the list goes on. Through all of the fear, unknowns, adjustments—one thing I am eternally grateful for is your understanding, your prayers, your kind words/smiles, and the ability to allow children to laugh, play, and learn. THANK YOU!
Grow to Know will have their annual licensing inspection on April 7. The state licensing agency will be here most of the day looking at the children and staff files, inspecting the classrooms, and making observations. Thank you for help in getting all of the paperwork to us for the files.
We are making plans for the summer and fall. What a glorious thought to be able to think about and plan for the summer and fall….with “normal” expectations.
Please continue to pray for GTK and the GTK families! We have families struggling with illnesses, job concerns, and the pressures of life. Let’s lift each other up in prayer!
NEW PHONE NUMBER
Grow to Know will be getting a NEW PHONE NUMBER—effective Monday, April 19. THE NEW NUMBER IS: 417-450-4436.
Schweitzer United Methodist Church will continue with the following number: 417-881-6800.
Grow to Know will have their own number so please take note of the new number. The cell number will remain the same: 417-323-2051.
PARKING LOT CLOSURE
The parking lot (by the Grow to Know entrance) will be CLOSED beginning Tuesday, March 30 in order for Schweitzer to prepare for Easter. Schweitzer will have a tent in the parking lot to host Easter services outdoors. The tent is scheduled to be taken down on Monday, April 5.
You will be to park on parking lot north of the gym. To access the parking lot, use Meadowview (the street between GTK and Red Rack) OR Stanford Street (the street north of GTK—use Oak Grove to Stanford)
Thanks for your patience.
COVID-19 UPDATES for 2021!
GTK continues to maintain stable groups-per the advice from the Greene County Health Department. We have had questions about opening longer and we are hoping to be able to open at 7:00 at some point in the near future. (We are monitoring the need to adjust the closing time…..stay tuned.) In order to open at 7:00, we must be able to combine age groups. If you have any questions or want more details, call the office.
About 30 staff were able to get the Covid vaccinations at GTK. Continue to pray for health, wisdom, and patience as we continue to move forward.
IMPORTANT REMINDERS FROM THE GREEN COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT:
- Keep your child home if you or your child is NOT feeling well.
- If you are waiting on COVID test results, keep your child home with you until you get the results.
- If you have been tested for COVID and waiting on the results, do NOT enter GTK.
- If you are being tested or have tested positive, contact the office. It helps us in the planning process.
- Wear your mask within the center and in public.
Grow to Know will continue to do the following:
- Hours: 7:30-5:30.
- Masks are required by adults as they enter the building.
- Temps will be taken.
- Handwashing is encouraged/required throughout the day.
- GTK will continue with “stable groups”.
- GTK Class Closure
- If GTK cannot provide care due to a class closure, you will not be charged the weekly tuition.
- We will follow the Greene County Health Department guidelines on class closures and quarantine guidelines.
GTK has some fun things planned for the summer. Here are some of the plans:
- GTK will have Grow to Know Kids—the school age program.
- We are planning weekly themes for summer fun for the preschool and GTK Kids.
- We may move some children into a different class for the summer. With the Pre-K children moving into GTK Kids and teachers needing to work, we will move some children around for the summer fun. You will be notified if your child will be a different class for the summer.
The book fair was AMAZING! GTK bought $2123.00 in books and treasures. Thank you for donating books to your child’s classroom. We earned over $500.00 in Scholastic bucks where we can purchase school type supplies, books, professional books. Look out Scholastic—here we come.
We did get some new incentive things for the gym (12 balls, stepping blocks, big linking shapes) as the sale numbers went up. The children LOVED having PJ day, popsicles, and movie time.
SCHOOL YEAR 2021-22
We have begun working on things for the new school year….which will begin on August 16, 2021.
We will send out classroom placement, introductory information in early May.
Grow to Know is hoping to have the computer check in/out screens back up and running by the first of May. Stay tuned.
Check out the Conscious Discipline website (www.consciousdiscipline.com) for some parenting tips. Here is an article that may be helpful when your child doesn’t get what they want.
How do I help my child handle disappointment?
Disappointment is a difficult emotion to handle. All parents ultimately want children to be good sportsmen, take responsibility for their actions rather than blaming others, and be able to stand tall after their falls in life (both literal and metaphoric). Here are some essential guidelines to help children with this type of pain:
First, your goal must be to help them deal with the emotion, not “happy them up.” “Happying them up” comes in many forms. It could be a distraction, a promise to buy a toy or taking them out for ice cream. This attempt to take away the pain can lead (in many years) to adults who unconsciously graze through the refrigerator or use shopping sprees to deal with disappointment.
Instead, we can provide empathy to help ease their pain and teach them that they can handle all that life brings to them.
“You seem _____________.” (Put your best guess of the feeling in the blank… disappointed, frustrated, sad, etc.) If you guess their emotion correctly, their body will relax. If you guess incorrectly, they will tense up, pull away or correct you. If this happens, simply try to describe the feeling again.
“You were hoping ______________” or “You wanted____________.” Describe the disappointment or hurt.
“It’s hard when ___________________.” Validate their feelings.
“You can handle it.” Offer assurance.
“Breathe with me.” Take a deep breath together, and then physically connect in some way.
Example: A child does not make a football team.
“You seem disappointed. You were hoping to make the team with your friends. You wanted this more than anything. It’s hard when things turn out differently than you wanted. You can handle this. Let’s take some deep breaths together.” Then hug or hold your child.
I’ve posted a great video on YouTube that explains how empathy helps children take responsibility for their upset in a compassionate, healthy way. My Conscious Discipline (educators) and Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline (parents) books also provide extensive information about ways to offer and benefits of empathy.
PRE-K UPDATES (Blue, Sage, Turquoise)
- Pre-K Graduation on May 18: The graduation ceremonies will be divided into three groups to allow for social distancing. Each child will be allowed 4 guests.
- Blue @ 2:30
- Turquoise @ 3:30
- Sage @ 4:30
- April 16: Pre-K pictures
- May 18: Pre-K Graduation
- May 21: Pre-K Field Day
- May 27: Possible Pre-K Family BBQ….watch for more information!
- May 28: Last day for Pre-K
- June 1: First day of Grow to Know Kids
DID YOU KNOW????
- That GTK has about 100 staff?
- That the teachers are required to have daily lesson plans?
- That about 30 staff have been vaccinated for Covid?
- That GTK has two garden plots in the Community Garden? We also have garden boxes in the area across from the Red Room. Have you seen the gold fish outside?
- That we follow the guidelines of the CACFP for meals? Check the website for some great tips for meal planning: https://www.eatright.org/food/resources/national-nutrition-month/toolkit
SCHWEITZER UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
EASTER SUNDAY, APRIL 4 | ON CAMPUS
In an effort to bring the most people TOGETHER in the safest way, we are hosting TWO OUTDOOR EASTER services on the Schweitzer campus at 9 am (Traditional) and 11 am (Modern).
Both will be held in the parking lot, near the Sanctuary. We are planning to have a large tent, along with a large outdoor stage, seating and more.
An online Easter service will also be shared at live.sumc.co for individuals unable to attend in person.
EASTER EGGSTRAVAGANZA FOR SCHWEITZER KIDS
Between our Sunday morning services, Schweitzer Kids is hosting an Easter Eggstravaganza at Pittman Elementary School (about a mile from SUMC). The egg hunt will be divided into two age groups and will begin at 10:15 am. We will have thousands of eggs and a great time with all our kids and families!
Check out Schweitzer United Methodist Church at sumc.co for details on what is happening at Schweitzer.
GROW TO KNOW KIDS
Grow to Know Kids IS going to happen!!!! The final details are coming together! Continue to pray as we move forward.
Lindsey Hendrix and Kayla Hafer will be the directors of Grow to Know Kids. We are in the process of hiring the staff for the classrooms.
Weekly sign-up required. (You will be charged for the weeks you sign up. Cancellation is required by noon on the Friday previous to the week you signed up to cancel payment.)
- The online feature is up and going. Check it out at gtkpreschool.com.
- The classrooms upstairs will be used for their home rooms.
- Tentatively planning weekly field trips. (Pending Covid, places to go, etc.)
- Grow to Know Hours: 7:30-5:30. (Hours have been adjusted due to COVID restrictions.) You will charged $5.00 per minute after 5:30 PM.
- Please call the office OR post on the GTK Facebook page if your child is going to be absent or will be arriving after 9:00. (The kitchen staff does lunch counts starting at 9:00.)
- A $15.00 late fee is applied to late payments and balances carried over. If you have specific questions, contact the office.
- Grow to Know has a private Facebook page for the GTK families and staff, so “Like” us on Facebook. Check out the Grow to Know website (www.gtkpreschool.com).
- We bill on Mondays for the week.
GTK CLOSURES 2021
MARK YOUR CALENDARS: Grow to Know will be closed on the following days in 2021:
May 31 (Memorial Day)
August 13 (Professional Learning Day for the staff)
September 6 (Labor Day)
November 25, 26 (Thanksgiving)
December 24-31 (Christmas/New Year’s)
Bible Verse for April:
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”John 14:6