Volume 21, Number 12
Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.Proverbs 22:6
PHONE: 417-881-6800 EXT. 216 Cell: 417-323-2051 Fax: 417-881-3387
NOTE FROM MS. JANE:
Merry Christmas! There is a song that says, “Yes, we need a little Christmas!” I think we need a lot of Christmas this year…..what a year! I pray you are able to spend some time with your little ones and just take in the spirit of the season!
Grow to Know will be closed from December 24-January 1. You will be not be charged the days we are closed. The tuition will be prorated for December 21-23. Check with the office if you have any questions.
Thank you for your food donations during November. Schweitzer is partnering with Pittman Elementary and supports the backpack program where food is sent home with the children on the weekends. Your donations will help families in need.
A huge thank you from the Martinez family for your donations and prayers as Jay was hospitalized for 6+ weeks with Covid. Jay is home and getting stronger each day. It is truly a miracle!
Grow to Know will be collecting treasures by the trees in the sign in area. We will be collecting socks, underwear, hand sanitizer, tissues, and canned goods. GTK always needs socks and underwear when accidents happen, along with sanitizer and tissues. The canned goods will be donated to the Schweitzer Food Bank. If we get more socks, underwear, sanitizer and tissues that we can use, we will donate them to the food pantry and Sammy’s Window. The classroom teachers may have a “classroom want list” so check with the teachers.
We have had several parents ask about giving gifts to their child’s teacher(s). The classroom teachers competed a “favorites questionnaire”. If you are interested, let us know and we will get it to you.
Our wish for the Grow to Know families is to have the merriest of Christmas holidays. Stay safe and be well.
Here is a parenting book you might be interested in: “12 Huge Mistakes Parents Can Avoid…. Leading Your Kids to Success in Life” by Tim Elmore.
The 12 mistakes according to the author include:
- We won’t let them fail. (When we remove the possibility of failure, we dilute kids’ motivation to excel.)
- We project our lives on them. (When we project, kids are pressured to become someone they are not.)
- We prioritize being happy. (When happiness is the goal instead of a by-product, it is elusive and disappointing.)
- We move inconsistent. (When we are inconsistent, we send mixed signals and breed insecurity and instability in kids.)
- We remove the consequences. (When we remove consequences for actions, we fail to prepare kids for the future.)
- We lie about their potential and don’t explore their true potential. (When we distort, disillusionment results from dreams that don’t match kids’ gifts.)
- We won’t let them struggle or fight. (When we eliminate the struggle, kids are conditioned to give up easily without trying.)
- We give them what they should earn. (When we give them too much, they don’t learn the art of working and waiting.)
- We praise the wrong things. (When we affirm kids’ looks or smarts instead of their virtues, their values become skewed.)
- We value removing all the pain. (When we take away pain, kids’ ability to endure hardship or loss atrophies.)
- We do it for them. (When we do things for kids, they can become lazy, unmotivated to grow, and disables.)
- We prepare the path for the child instead of the child for the path. (When we prepare the path, kids’ childhoods work fine, but their adulthood looks bleak.)
The book goes into a lot more detail so you might be interested in reading it! You can check it out from the GTK office!
IMPORTANT CHANGES IN THE CALENDAR!
As you know, COVID has caused everyone to make lots of adjustments in our daily routines and practices. In evaluating the need to deep clean the classrooms, honor the staff, and hopefully keep everyone healthy, Grow to Know will be extending the holiday closure for 2020.
Grow to Know will be CLOSED:
- December 24-January 1. We will reopen on Monday, January 4, 2021.
- Tuition will be prorated for the week of December 21, 22, 23. You will not be charged for the days we are closed.
- The tuition will be:
- $105 per week for 2’s-Pre-K
- $135 per week for Infant/Toddlers
Grow to Know has a babysitter list if you need/want a babysitter the days we are closed. Call the office if you have any questions.
GTK has lots of Christmas things planned. Your child’s teacher will give you specific classroom plans. In the spirit of the season, GTK will be collecting
Spirit Week—December 14-18
- Monday, December 14: Wear red/green
- Tuesday, December 15: Wear a Christmas hat, headband, etc.
- Wednesday, December 16: Christmas Finery.
- Wear something festive, dressy, etc. We are planning to take pictures of everyone in their Christmas finery.
- Thursday, December 17: Wear Christmas socks
- Friday, December 18: Wear PJ’s/Christmas Party
Bring a wrapped children’s book for the book exchange at the class Christmas party. (Put your child’s name on the package so the teacher knows who it is from.)
Classroom Christmas Parties
The classroom parties will be held on Friday, December 18. The teachers will update you on the specific plans.
- Each child needs to bring a wrapped book ($5.00 or less) for a gift exchange. Put your child’s name on the package.
- It’s PJ Day!
GTK will be collecting some things under the Christmas trees in the check in area. GTK and Sammy’s Window can always use underwear and socks. (Sammy’s Window provides emergency clothing and necessities for foster families.) Tissues and hand sanitizer are staples around a preschool. The Schweitzer Food Pantry can always use canned goods, peanut butter, cereal, etc. to give to families in need.
COVID-19 UPDATES for 2021!
From the information we are getting, it is crucial that everyone work together through the winter months to keep everyone healthy. Please read the reminders listed below:
IMPORTANT REMINDERS FROM THE GREEN COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT:
- Keep your child home if you or your child is NOT feeling well.
- If you are waiting on COVID test results, keep your child home with you until you get the results.
- If you have been tested for COVID and are waiting on test results, do NOT enter GTK.
- If you being tested or have tested positive, contact the office.
- Wear your mask within the center and in public.
Grow to Know will continue to do the following until further notice:
- Hours: 7:30-5:30.
- Drop-off/pick up MAY be changing soon. We are hopeful that parents will be able to drop off/pick up children at the classroom door in January. Stay tuned for details.
- Masks are required by adults as they enter the building.
- Handwashing is encouraged/required throughout the day.
- GTK will continue with “stable groups”.
- GTK Class Closure
- If GTK cannot provide care due to a class closure, you will not be charged the weekly tuition.
- We will follow the Greene County Health Department guidelines on class closures and quarantine guidelines.
The Missouri voters approved a new minimum wage law in 2018 with annual increases until the minimum wage is $12.00 per hour in 2023. Presently the minimum wage is $9.45 per hour with an $.85 an hour increase making it $10.30 per hour in 2021.
The facts at GTK:
- GTK has a staff of about 100
- GTK MUST have two staff members with the children at all times
- GTK wants to honor all of the staff with appropriate pay
Based on the number of minimum wage employees and honoring the Lead Teacher/Aides at GTK, the tuition rates will increase the week of January 4, 2021.
- Full time (ages 2-Pre-K) will increase from $170.00 per week to $180.00 per week.
- Infants/toddlers will increase from $220.00 to $230.00 per week
- M/W/F will increase from $135.00 to $145.00 per week.
- T/TH will increase from $100.00 to $110.00 per week.
- Grow to Know Kids (summer) will increase from $110.00 to $120.00 per week.
We have now entered the winter season where snow/ice is likely to happen at some point. Grow to Know tries to open in inclement weather, but there are times we have to close. The following factors are considered:
- The forecast
- Timing of the storm
- Ability to clean the parking lot/sidewalks
Please note: GTK may delay opening (Example: open at 8:30) to allow time for the parking lots to be cleared and staff to arrive.
- Do our best to make a decision to open/close/delay by 6:00 AM.
- Announce the decision on the GTK Facebook page and Class DOJO. Make sure you are on Class DOJO!
- Announce on KOLR-10.
It is a very difficult decision so you can help us by praying that inclement weather stays away during the week and arrives on the weekend so you can enjoy the time with your child!!!
If you have specific questions, let us know.
DID YOU KNOW????
- That GTK will be closed December 24-January 1?
- That staff are required to have 12 training hours in a calendar year? Trainings include everything from Conscious Discipline, safe to sleep, CPR, storytelling, to managing behaviors.
- That GTK has close to 100 staff?
It’s important that you label your child’s personal belongings. With coats, backpacks, and other things, it can be hard to keep up with everything.
SCHWEITZER UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
- Christmas Festivities!
- Carols and Candlelight—December 20-23 @ 6:00.
- Join us for a 30 minute program to sing carols, hear a brief message, and light candles.
- There will be warm drinks available.
- You have to option to stay in your car or gather around the stage.
- The program is the same each night.
- Schweitzer will have virtual Christmas Eve services all day on Christmas Eve. Spend some time celebrating with your family in worship!
- Carols and Candlelight—December 20-23 @ 6:00.
- Check out Schweitzer United Methodist Church at sumc.co for details on worship times and safety guidelines. Schweitzer is having in person worship with programs for children on Sundays. Check out the website/Facebook for worship times, including online worship, programs, etc.
- Grow to Know Hours: 7:30-5:30. You will charged $5.00 per minute after 5:30 PM.
- Please call the office OR post on the GTK Facebook page if your child is going to be absent or will be arriving after 9:00. (The kitchen staff does lunch counts starting at 9:00.)
- A $15.00 late fee is applied to late payments and balances carried over. If you have specific questions, contact the office.
- Grow to Know has a private Facebook page for the GTK families and staff, so “Like” us on Facebook. Check out the Grow to Know website (www.gtkpreschool.com).
- We bill on Mondays for the week.
Bible Verse for December: Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. Ephesians 4:32
CALENDAR OF EVENTS:
23: Learning Pod CLOSED
24, 25: GTK and Learning Pod CLOSED
28-31: GTK and Learning Pod CLOSED
1: GTK CLOSED