The Growing Times
November, 2020 Volume 21, Number 11
|Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. Proverbs 22:6|
NOTE FROM MS. JANE:
What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving? Even in the midst of a pandemic, there is much to be thankful for. I am thankful for Grow to Know, the staff, the families at GTK, and especially the precious children at Grow to Know. I am thankful for my family and the time we are able to be together. I am thankful for my church and the lessons I learn in my Christian walk. I am thankful for more blessings than I can count. There are times I have to stop and count my blessings as 2020 has certainly brought us its share of difficulties. Take some time to look at your blessings!
GTK has several families that have faced a difficult time with COVID. We have had several parents and family members test positive and several have lost their jobs. The Martinez family has been especially hit hard with COVID. Please lift the GTK families up in prayer. Let’s be in prayer for each other.
Winter is fast approaching. Check out the article within the newsletter so you know about snow day protocol and prayer!
IMPORTANT CHANGES IN THE CALENDAR!
Grow to Know will be extending the holiday closure for 2020. Grow to Know will be CLOSED:
November 25-29 (Wednesday-Sunday) for the Thanksgiving holiday.
December 24-January 1 for Christmas and New Year’s.
Tuition will be prorated for November 23, 24 and December 21, 22, 23. You will not be charged the week of December 27.
Due to COVID, we want to do a deep cleaning and to give the staff some time to rest and re-energize for the new year. If you have any questions, call the office.
TWELVE DAYS OF THANKSGIVING
Grow to Know and Schweitzer are partnering with Pittman Elementary School to help provide food for the backpack program. The backpack program provides food to ensure the children have access to food when they aren’t at school. Grow to Know will be collecting food beginning November 9. We will have a basket at the check in area if you want to donate. We will deliver the “goods” to the church office where they will put the backpacks together. Drop off any of the following items Contact the office if you have any questions.
Canned Vienna Sausage
Canned Ravioli or pasta with meatballs
Box of Cereal
Breakfast Bars (individually wrapped)
Saltine Crackers (in sleeves)
Instant Oatmeal (individual packages)
Miscellaneous snacks (individually packaged)
Boxed Macaroni & Cheese
- We will continue the following until further notice:
- Hours: 7:30-5:30.
- Drop-off/pick up will continue to be at the check in desk area.
- Parents of infants/toddlers (Infants, Lavender, and Peach) will be allowed to take their children to the classroom.)
- Temps will be taken at the door for staff and children.
- Masks are required by adults as they enter the building.
- GTK staff are required to wear masks throughout the day.
- Hand washing is encouraged/required throughout the day.
- Drop off backpacks, bedding, jackets, etc. in the child’s laundry baskets in the hallway.
- GTK will continue with “stable groups”.
- IMPORTANT REMINDERS FROM THE GREEN COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT:
- Keep your child home if you or your child is NOT feeling well.
- If you are waiting on COVID test results, keep your child home with you until you get the results.
- If you have been tested for COVID, do NOT enter GTK.
- If you are being tested or have tested positive, contact the office.
- GTK Class Closure
- If GTK cannot provide care due to a class closure, you will not be charged the weekly tuition.
- We will follow the Greene County Health Department guidelines on class closures and quarantine guidelines.
The Missouri voters approved a new minimum wage law in 2018 with annual increases until the minimum wage is $12.00 per hour in 2023. Presently the minimum wage is $9.45 per hour with an $.85 an hour increase making it $10.30 per hour in 2021.
The facts at GTK:
- GTK has a staff of about 100
- GTK MUST have two staff members with the children at all times
- GTK wants to honor all of the staff with appropriate pay
Based on the number of minimum wage employees and honoring the Lead Teacher/Aides at GTK, the tuition rates will increase the week of January 4, 2021.
- Full time (ages 2-Pre-K) will increase from $170.00 per week to $180.00 per week.
- Infants/toddlers will increase from $220.00 to $230.00 per week
- M/W/F will increase from $135.00 to $145.00 per week.
- T/TH will increase from $100.00 to $110.00 per week.
- Grow to Know Kids (summer) will increase from $110.00 to $120.00 per week.
Grow to Know tries to stay open…..even when it’s snowy outside. There are a lot of factors that goes in the decision to open or close based on the weather. We look at the forecast, staffing, ability to clean the parking lot/sidewalks, temperature, amount of snow/sleet/ice to make the best decision that we can. Please note: we may decide to delay opening to allow time for the parking lots to be cleared and staff to arrive.
- Do our best to make a decision to open/close/delay by 6:00 AM.
- Announce the decision on the GTK Facebook page and Class DOJO.
- Announce on the KOLR-10.
You can help us by praying for bad weather on the weekends OR praying that it doesn’t happen at all OR praying that there is a clear and definite decision to be made. If you have specific questions, let us know.
DECA Early Childhood Assessment. The Devereux Early Childhood Assessment (DECA) program is based on research on promoting resilience and reducing the risk of young children developing social and emotional skills deficiencies. It helps teachers assess their entire classroom environment as well as individual children to help reduce or eliminate significant emotional and behavioral concerns in preschool children.
The classroom teacher will assess each children how he/she reacts to things in class, their independence, social skills, etc. This evaluation does assess academic skills, but the skills that aid learning in the classroom.
Your child’s teacher will be contacting you to schedule a conference. In order to keep social distancing, we will try to do the following:
- The conferences will be held in the Fellowship Area. There will be tables so everyone can be socially distant.
- Sign up for a specific time with your child’s teacher.
- Talk to your child’s teacher if the days/times don’t work for you.
Teal, Periwinkle, Green: Conferences will be scheduled on Monday, November 2 and Wednesday, November 4.
Purple, Red, Yellow: Conferences will be scheduled on Monday, November 9 and
Turquoise, Blue, Sage: Conferences will be scheduled on Monday, November 16 and November 18.
Ms. Whitney, the Lead Teacher in Lavender Room, will be leaving us at the beginning of November as she will be moving out of town. Please wish her well and keep her in your prayers as she moves. Ms. Stiffany Taylor will become the Lead Teacher in Lavender Room beginning November 9. Currently Ms. Stiffany is the Lead in the older learning pods.
The Martinez family is so grateful for your prayers, gifts, and kind words. Jay recently has been moved back to Springfield! Please continue to pray for Jay’s healing and for Melissa as she continues to keep things going at home.
The curriculum GTK uses is Project Construct.
Project Construct is designed to be used with children birth through age seven. Project Construct incorporates curricular goals and assessment tools that are linked to standards and reflect current knowledge about how children learn and develop.
Project Construct is derived from constructivism–the educational theory that learners construct knowledge through interactions with the physical and social environments. Constructivist theory assumes that learning builds upon the “known.”
Project Construct classrooms incorporate many of the activities found in traditional classrooms, such as, pretend play and block building, but have a clear emphasis on cognitive objectives. A feature of a Project Construct classroom is its emphasis on needs of individual children. A Project Construct teacher takes into account and supports varying abilities of individual children, using developmentally appropriate practices and child-initiated experiences. The result is a supportive, collaborative, child-centered environment in which all children flourish.
Contact the office if you would like to check a book out about Project Construct.
DID YOU KNOW????
- That GTK will be closed November 25-27 for the Thanksgiving holiday?
- That unpaid balances MUST be pain in full by December 23, 2020?
- That GTK will be closed December 24-January 1?
- That we will be collecting food items for the Pittman Elementary Backpack Program?
GTK CAN USE
- Hand Sanitizer…we seem to use it by the gallons.
The teachers get the contents of the “baskets” each morning and return things about 3:00 each afternoon. Please label your child’s things as it’s difficult to remember whose jacket is whose. (We have also had several kids with the matching water bottles, jackets, etc.) If you get something that doesn’t belong to your child, let us know and we will get it to the right child. Thanks for your help!
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON GROW TO KNOW KIDS (School Age) !!!
Grow to Know will NOT be offering Grow to Know Kids this fall. We will update you as we make plans for the spring/summer.
Grow to Know Learning Pod Update
The Learning Pods appears to be changing soon. Springfield Public Schools will have seated school for the elementary children. The younger pod is scheduled to go back to school on Monday, October 26. The older pod will resume seated class on Monday, November 9.
It has been a joy to have the Learning Pods at GTK. So many of the children began their educational career at Grow to Know so it’s always so great to see them. We will keep you updated if things change. We certainly wish the children in the Learning Pods the best of luck and we will be praying for them.
SCHWEITZER UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
- Check out Schweitzer United Methodist Church at sumc.co for more details on worship. Schweitzer is having in person worship with programs for children on Sundays. Check out the website/Facebook for worship times, including online worship, programs, etc. Schweitzer is studying the book of Colosians this fall. (There is a daily devotion/study guide available.)
- Grow to Know Hours: 7:30-5:30. You will charged $5.00 per minute after 5:30 PM.
- Please call the office OR post on the GTK Facebook page if your child is going to be absent or will be arriving after 9:00. (The kitchen staff does lunch counts starting at 9:00.)
- A $15.00 late fee is applied to late payments and balances carried over. If you have specific questions, contact the office.
- Grow to Know has a private Facebook page for the GTK families and staff, so “Like” us on Facebook. Check out the Grow to Know website (www.gtkpreschool.com).
- We bill on Mondays for the week.
Bible Verse for November: For nothing is impossible with God. Luke 1:37 (Don’t we need this verse?)
CALENDAR OF EVENTS:
4: Virtual Wednesday begins for K-1 Learning Pod
11: Virtual Wednesaday begins for the 2-5 Learning Pod
25, 26, 27: GTK/Learning Pod CLOSED
23: Learning Pod CLOSED
24, 25: GTK and Learning Pod CLOSED
28-31: GTK and Learning Pod CLOSED
1: GTK CLOSED