August, 2020 Volume 21, Number 8
|Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. Proverbs 22:6|
NOTE FROM MS. JANE:
Who knew that August would still be so uncertain as we get ready for a new school year? We continue to follow the Greene County Health Department and licensing guidelines as we check with them multiple times a week to verify, clarify, or update information. We continually review our protocol to improve our safety measures. Your understanding and patience is greatly appreciated.
Grow to Know did pass our annual inspection. It took our licensing person all day to look at the files and inspect the classrooms. Part of the inspection also includes a visit from the fire marshal and the health department. We are required to have updated paperwork annually so you will be getting the new paperwork in August. Thanks, in advance, for getting it back to us.
Grow to Know and Schweitzer have been busy this summer with more renovations which will continue into the fall. When you come back into the center hopefully will be complete and you will see:
- Newly painted hallways
- New paint, new lights, and new floor in the Kids Worship Space. The check in area is being painted and renovated.
- The 5th/6th grade classroom has been transformed into the Turquoise Room for Pre-K students.
- The single bathroom in B hallway will be used by the Turquoise Room.
- A door has been installed by the restroom so Turquoise can have some additional space throughout the week.
- Several teachers have moved classrooms so it may seem confusing when you come back into the building.
Grow to Know will do the following:
- Through at least December:
- Hours: 7:30-5:30 (May need to adjust hours at some point. It is difficult to staff individual classrooms from 7:30-5:30 when there are 2-3 children in classrooms.)
- Drop-off/pick up will continue to be at the check in desk area.
- Parents of infants/toddlers (Infants, Lavender, and Peach) will be allowed to take their children to the classroom. Please exit through Door C.
- Temps will be taken at the door for staff and children. (A child or staff member with a temp of 99.9 will not be allowed to enter.)
- Masks are required by adults as they enter the building.
- GTK staff are required to wear masks throughout the day.
- Handwashing is encouraged/required throughout the day.
- Backpacks, bedding, jackets, etc. can be dropped off in the laundry baskets in the hallway. Each class has an area in B hallway for baskets.
- By closing at 5:30, GTK will not combine classes at the end of the day.
- Other updates:
- A staff member is required to quarantine if he/she is being tested for COVID-19.
- GTK will notify everyone if/when there is positive case of COVID-19 within the GTK family. We will follow the Green County Health Department guidelines.
- At this time, we are NOT scheduling any family events, such as Grandparents Day, Back to School Bash, Christmas concert, Thanksgiving feast, etc.
- WE will NOT be having chapel, music or combined recess time until futher notice.
- Infants: Ms. Sharla Hafer
- Peach Room (Toddler): Angela Hunter
- Peach Room (Toddler): Kristen Keene
- Lavender Room (Toddler): Whitney Summers
- Teal Room (2’s): Brooke Hafer
- Periwinkle Room (2’s) : Amy Tarter
- Green Room (2’s): Kendra Henderson
- Orange Room (2’s): Carrie Johnson
- Red Room (3’s): Katie Sapp
- Yellow Room (3’s): Debbie Sloan
- Purple Room (3’s): Diana Young
- Sage Room (Pre-K): Kayla Hafer
- Blue Room (Pre-K): Heather Long
- Turquoise Room (Pre-K): Molly Hatley
Pre-K 2020 NEWS
As with a lot of things during COVID-19, the Pre-K Graduation for the GTK Class of 2020 had to be different. In order to celebrate the Pre-K class, we had a “Drive-through Graduation Celebration”. We will miss “our kids”, but wish them well and will pray for them as they enter a new phase of life…kindergarten.
Trivia: This Pre-K group of children were our first group of babies when GTK started an infant program. Several of this Pre-K group have been with us since they were babies.
MEET THE TEACHER
The Meet the Teacher is scheduled for August 13 but will look different this year. We had hoped to have a “party” to start the school year. We will NOT be having the Back to School Bash, which included the Book Fair, food, and games. We WILL have Meet the Teacher—with the details to follow. At this point, you will NOT be allowed to come into the center to see the classroom. Watch for details in the next few days.
GTK has several ways to communicate with families:
- Class Dojo
- GTK/classroom teacher can send private messages to you.
- GTK/classroom teacher can send class messages to you.
- GTK can send all center announcements/notices.
- “Like” us at Grow to Know Preschool. It is a private page with the GTK families.
- For the school age….”Like” GTK Kids (School Age). If you have a child in Grow to Know Kids, join this page. We will post announcements/news/updates regarding the school age on this page.
- Grow to Know website @ gtkpreschool.com
It is very important that you join Dojo or Facebook so we are able to keep you informed. Call the office if you have any questions.
The staff training looked different than we had hoped. Due to COVID guidelines, we did not have the speaker that was scheduled. However, we did meet in small groups to plan, study, and learn.
We are hopeful that we can reschedule the training for a later time in the school year.
DID YOU KNOW????
- That GTK has a new classroom this year? We are adding a new 2 year old classroom beginning August 17.
- That GTK is required to have two staff with the children at all times? It’s called Safe Gatherings.
- That we have a weekly Bible story and memorize a Bible verse each month?
- That Ms. Sam (Green) got a teaching job? She will be leaving GTK, but we wish her the best of luck.
- That Ms. Alexa (Teal) will be doing her student teaching and leaving GTK? Good Luck!
GTK CAN USE
- Hand Sanitizer
- 2 double strollers
Grow to Know Learning Pod
Grow to Know is stepping out on faith to offer a “learning pod” for children attending Springfield Public Schools for grades K-5. We are adjusting/learning as we go and trying to figure things out….just as you are.
- Two options will be available: 2-3 days per week @ $50.00 per day. You must select the 2 day option OR the 3 day option. We will NOT be able to adjust your plan once school starts.
- Hours: 7:30-5:30
- We will have more information as we get things organized.
- Please pray for wisdom, staff, and perseverance!
SCHWEITZER UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
- Check out Schweitzer United Methodist Church at sumc.co for more details on worship. Schweitzer has started in person worship. Check out the website/Facebook for updates/guidelines/times.
- Grow to Know Hours: We will continue 7:30-5:30 through December 2020. Beginning August 17, 2020, you will charged $5.00 per minute after 5:30 PM.
- Please call the office OR post on the GTK Facebook page if your child is going to be absent or will be arriving after 9:00. (The kitchen staff does lunch counts starting at 9:00.)
- A $15.00 late fee is applied to late payments and balances carried over. If you have specific questions, contact the office.
- Grow to Know has a private Facebook page for the GTK families and staff, so “Like” us on Facebook. Check out the Grow to Know website (www.gtkpreschool.com).
- We bill on Mondays for the week.
Bible Verse for August: But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is not law. Galatians 5:22-23
CALENDAR OF EVENTS:
13: Meet the Teacher
17: First Day of School