Note from Ms. Jane:
Life at GTK has been busy this spring and we are getting ready for a super fun summer. Pre-K graduation was wonderful with 42 little ones graduating into the world of Kindergarten. As Dr. Suess says, “Oh the places they will go!” We will continue to pray for them and look forward to visits. It is sure bittersweet for us!
Beginning May 30, we will begin traveling around the world for learning fun this summer! We will also have GTK Kids throughout the summer. (It isn’t too late to sign up for those going into Kindergarten-5th grade.)
As you know, we practice fire drills and storm drills periodically throughout the school year. But we have had two days where we had the “real” thing where the storm sirens went off and we took cover in the church basement. I must say how impressed I was with the afternoon staff and the children as we waited out the storms. The staff kept the children calm and entertained until all was clear. The children did a great job of listening, walking down the stairs, and sitting for a LONG time. I do believe that the practices have helped everyone be ready for the “real” times.
Thank you for your kind acts during Teacher Appreciation Week. It means a great deal to the staff!
Grow to Know was given the “Employer of the Year” Award at OTC’s Middle College graduation. The trophy is in the office if you would like to see it. GTK has had numerous interns from the Middle College through the years and loves working with OTC.
The garage sale was a huge success. We made about $2600.00 that we will add to GTK Special Projects Fund. The Run for the Son made just under $1700.00 for GTK. Thank you for supporting our fundraising endeavors.
SUMMER AT GTK
Grow to Know and Grow to Know Kids will be traveling this summer to nine different countries. We will be learning about the country, where it is, a few words/phrases from the country, food from the country, praying for the country, crafts, and much more. If you have any questions or items to share from the countries listed, let us know. Here is the itinerary:
- Week of May 30: Canada
- Week of June 5: Mexico
- Week of June 12: China
- Week of June 19: England
- Week of June 26: France
- Week of July 3: USA
- Week of July 10: Vacation Bible School
- Week of July 17: Ireland
- Week of July 24: Italy
- Week of July 31: Germany
Each Thursday we will have something for breakfast or lunch that represents the country and Fridays will be Spirit Day. On Spirit Days, your child can wear something that represents the country or the colors of the country’s flag.
DID YOU KNOW?
- That preschools are required to have 60 minutes of outdoor time for full time students?
- That you need to put sunscreen on your child in the AM? We will reapply in the PM.
- That everyone that works at GTK is required to be Safe Sanctuary trained? For us, Safe Sanctuary means that there are two adults with the children at all times.
GROW TO KNOW KIDS/SUMMER PROGRAM (School Age Children)
The fun times have begun for the Grow to Know Kids/Summer Program. If your school-aged child (Kindergarten-5th grade) needs care for the summer, give us a call. There is still space available so tell your friends and neighbors.
You must make a reservation for each day your child plans to be at GTK Kids. The cost is $25.00 per day (or $100.00 per week) which includes breakfast, lunch, and a snack. There is also a $25.00 per child summer activity fee. The reservation is critical for staffing, field trips, and meal planning.
Miss Molly will be the Lead Teacher throughout the summer for GTK Kids. There will be field trips, activities, laughs, games, and much more. You won’t want to miss the fun!
We will have Grow to Know Kids available June 28-July 3 and the first two weeks in August if your child is attending summer school. If you have any questions about the summer program, call the office.
Your feedback would be helpful to us as we begin the new school year. We had to cancel Grow to Know Kids a couple of times due to lack of interest. I would welcome your input as we try to decide if we should keep it or not.
SCHWEITZER UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
- If you are looking for a church home, check out Schweitzer United Methodist Church at sumc.co.
- Check out the website for all of the activities at Schweitzer, including activities for the children and youth and classes for the adults.
- The sermon series through the summer will be on “Little Books with a Big Punch”. We will be looking at the smaller books fo the
- Bible to see what they have to say for our lives today.
- Check out the Schweitzer website for summer activities.
We WILL be going outside as much as possible pending the weather/temperature. Please put sunscreen on your child when you drop them off and we will reapply in the afternoon. We will need a completed sunscreen form AND sunscreen. Whether your child has sunscreen or not, he/she will be gong outside as the weather permits. When the temperatures/ heat index get too hot, we will be staying indoors. Check with your child’s teacher if you have any questions.
- During the summer: Miss Molly will be the Lead Teacher for GTK Kids. Ms. Sherrah and Ms. Alexis will be helping with GTK Kids. Ms. Debbie will be helping in the Yellow Room. Ms. Tami will be assisting in various classes to cover where teachers are gone for vacations.
- Ms. Alisia is pursuing other interests and left GTK.
- Ms. Tomesa has a new person assisting in the kitchen….Ms. Amber. Ms. Thecla will be leaving GTK to move to Minnesota in a couple of weeks so Amber is in training.
- Mrs. Kathy is working in the Green Room with Mrs. Marie.
- Mrs. Heather is on maternity leave and will be returning in August. She will be the Lead Teacher in the new Transitional 2 year-old classroom.
- Several of our college students graduated this spring and are moving on. They will be greatly missed, but we wish them well and hope they stop by to visit.
- We will have several college students working at GTK that have been away to school but are home for the summer. Some of these college students were at GTK last summer and over Christmas break.
GTK WISH LIST
There is a wish list outside each classroom door with things the teachers can use for spring/summer fun. Check out the list!
Thank you for supplying us with Kleenex. Let’s hope that will get us through the summer!
- Sidewalk chalk
- Hoola hoops
STUFF TO KNOW
- Grow to Know has a private Facebook page. We only have the families and staff from Grow to Know so “Like” us on Facebook. It is a great way for us to keep you updated quickly and efficiently. If you have specific concerns, contact the office.
- Join us at Schweitzer United Methodist Church on Sunday mornings. You are always welcome to worship at Schweitzer at 8:20, 9:40, or 11:00. (sumc.co). There is child care and programs for the children.
- GTK has many children with various food allergies. Talk to your child’s teacher if you are planning to bring snacks to school.
- There is a $15.00 late fee for late payments. Check with the office if you have concerns about your GTK payments.
- Grow to Know Hours: 7:00-6:00. You will be charged a $1.00 a minute after 6:00 PM. For the 9:00-1:00 classes, you will be charged a $1.00 per minute for late pick-up after 1:00 PM.
- Please call if your child is going to be absent or will be arriving after 9:00.
- A $15.00 late fee is applied to late payments and balances carried over. If you have specific questions, contact the office.
Bible Verse for June: Proverbs 3: 5,6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.
Calendar of Events:
16: Donuts for Dads