The Growing Times
April, 2017 Volume 19, Number 4
|Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. Proverbs 22:6|
NOTE FROM MS. JANE:
Have you signed up for the RUN FOR THE SON? Run for the Son is a combined effort between Grow to Know, Kids of Creation (Wesley United Methodist Church) and Small Wonders (Campbell United Methodist Church) with the proceeds being split between the three preschools. It will be a great day of fun so get your friends and neighbors to join in. The races (mile fun run, 5K, and 10K) will be held across the street from Campbell United Methodist Church on Saturday, April 15 beginning at 8:00 AM. The registration form is online, or at GTK! SIGN UP!!!
If you have or know of a business that would like to help sponsor the run, please contact the office.
We are busy planning for the summer and fall programs at GTK. Grow to Know is planning to “travel” this summer to nine different countries. The details will coming out very soon. Grow to Know will also participate in the Schweitzer Vacation Bible July 10-13.
We are also making plans for the new school year. Our goal is to have a transitional 2 year old classroom for the one year olds moving up. With that plan in place, we will have everyone else on the “school plan” and will only be moving up in August. If you have specific questions, contact the office.
April is a VERY busy month at GTK. Get your calendars ready. The GTK Spring Concert/Art Walk will be held on Tuesday, April 4 at 6:30. (A flier was sent home with the details.) April 15th is the Run for the Son at Campbell United Methodist Church. Get your family and friends signed up to run/walk.
We will have spring pictures on April 6,7 and a flier was sent home with which class is having their picture taken on which day. If all of that wasn’t enough, we have added a garage sale to the month on April 28,29.
SCHOOL YEAR 2017-18
Plans are being finalized for the new school year that begins in August! We will be sending out notices in early May with your child’s new teacher, classroom supplies, and information. We will have an Meet/Greet the Teacher in early August.
Do you have a GTK CD? It is a great way to learn 36 Bible verses. The CD’s are available in the office for $7.50 each. We are planning to have a holiday CD which will have our Christmas and Easter songs on it. We will put together a holiday CD with Christmas and Easter songs.
PROJECTS FOR 2017
We accepted a bid for the Transitional 2 year old classroom. We don’t have a schedule, but the completion goal is July to open in August. Continue pray that everything comes together as scheduled.
Run for the Son-5K/10K Run
Have you sigend up? It is sure to be a fun day! The money raised will be split between Grow to Know and the preschools at Campbell United Methodist Church and Wesley United Methodist Church.
- GTK is teaming up with two other preschools (Small Wonders @ Campbell United Methodist Church and Kids of Creation @ Wesley United Methodist Church) to host a 5K and 10K run with a mile fun run for a great family event/fundraiser.
- The date is scheduled for Saturday, April 15.
- We are looking for sponsors to help off set some intitial costs. If you have a business or know of a business that would be interested in making a minimum $100.00 donation, contact the office.
For those of you that gave us your email address, you should have received a test email. Call the office if you didn’t get the test email.
WOW BUTTER—Peanut Butter Substitute
We have found a peanut butter substitute that we would like to try. It is called WOW Butter and can be found at Wal-Mart, Mama Jeans, Hy-Vee, and Ruby’s. Talk to the Tomesa in the kitchen if you have specific questions. Let us know your thoughts.
DID YOU KNOW????
- That licensing requires that children rest on their cots for a minimum of 30 minutes each day?
- That we have two garden plots in the community garden?
- That we are required to 3-step clean the tables, changing tables each time we use them? Three-step clean means we use soapy water, clean water, and bleach water when we clean the areas.
Teacher Appreciation Week is May 1-5. The teachers at GTK are AMAZING! They not only teach your children, but love and care for them as if they were their own children. They pray with the children and pray for them, as well as, play, create, and have a great time. The first week of May is Teacher Appreciation Week. Your child’s teacher would love to get a painting/drawing your child made for their teacher. Would you please take some time before the first week of May and have your child create something for their teachers? It will MAKE their day!!!
SPRING CONCERT/ART WALK
The Spring Concert is April 4 at 6:30 in the sanctuary. The children will meet in their classrooms before and after the program.
Following the program, check out the art displayed throughout the center. Each class did a group project and each child should have an individual piece of art displayed.
There will be a silent auction on the group piece of art. The bidding will start at $10.00 so check back several times to get that precious piece of art. We will close the bidding at 6:00 PM on WEDNESDAY, APRIL 5. The money raised will continue to help with the Transitional 2 year old classroom and the new gym floor.
Join Schweitzer for Easter services:
Sunday, April 9: Puppets and Pasta at noon in the Schweitzer Gym for free family fun.
Friday, April 14: Good Friday Services at 6:30 and 8:00 in the Scheweitzer Outreach Center
Sunday, April 16: Easter Sunday Services at 8:20, 9:40, 11:00 AM and 5:00 PM.
GROW TO KNOW KIDS (School Age Children)
It is imperative that you make your reservations for Grow to Know Kids throughout the school year!
We will have Grow to Know Kids on the following days:
April 14—Make your reservation!
We MUST have a minimum of 15 children in order to offer GTK Kids. (We are licensed for 50.) Please make a resesrvation for EACH day you need GTK Kids. The cost is $25.00 per day which includes breakfast, lunch, and a snack.
GTK KIDS/SUMMER: The summer plans for GTK Kids are coming together. Miss Debbie and Miss Molly will be the Lead Teachers for the summer. The GTK Kids will “travel” to the following countriesthroughout the summer: USA, Canada, Mexico, England, France, Italy, Germany, Ireland, and China. There are field trips andlots of activities planned. Sign your school aged child up for the summer fun!!! When you know your summer plans, contact the office to make your reservations for Grow to Know Kids.
We are tentatively planning to start GTK Kids on Tuesday, May 30. (We are waiting for the official last day of school for Springfield Public Schools.) Your school aged child won’t want to miss the fun that week as we are making reservations for horseback riding at Sac River Sables. We MUST have know who is coming that week so we can make the reservations for the horses.
The cost for the summer is: $25.00 per day OR $100.00 per week. There is a $25.00 summer enrollment/activity fee per child for the summer. If you have any questions about the summer program, call the office.
SCHWEITZER UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
- If you are looking for a church home, check out Schweitzer United Methodist Church at co.
- Check out the website for all of the activities at Schweitzer, including activities for the children and youth and classes for the adults.
- The sermon series is looking at the places Jesus traveled.
- Make plans to attend Schweitizer for Easter.
- Check out the Schweitzer website for classes (Alpha, Jobs for Life, small groups) in the new year.
With the beautiful spring weather, we will be going outside as much as possible. Send coats/jackets with your child each day for those cooler days. Beginning April 1st, or as soon as it is warm and sunny, we ask that you apply sunscreen to your child each morning for those sunny, hot days. Please send your sunscreen preference to your child’s teacher and we will reapply the sunscreen in the afternoon after naps. You should have completed the sunscreen form at the beginning of the school year that gives us permission to apply the sunscreen. If you aren’t sure about the form, call the office.
- A huge thank you to everyone that donated Kleenex to GTK. We used a LOT of tissues this past winter and can always use them.
- Thank you to the Bolin family for donating bags of sand for the sandbox.
- We have 2 major cash donations that will be used for the Transitional 2 Classroom.
- We have also had sponsorship donations for the Run for the Son. Thank you!
GTK WISH LIST
There is a wish list in each classroom with things we can use at GTK. Check out the list!
Grow to Know can always use the following items for summer fun:
- Sidewalk chalk
- Hoola hoops
Graduation and other information:
Pre-K Graduation will be held on May 16 at 6:30 PM in the sanctuary. Make plans to attend!
Your child will remain in their Pre-K class until May 26 (tentatively). We will confirm that date when we have an official last day of school for Springfield Public Schools. Once we have that information, your child will officially graduate from preschool to summer school, GTK Kids, or whatever you have planned.
GTK Kids Information:
- GTK Kids is childcare for school age children when Springfield Public Schools is not is session.
- GTK Kids is $25.00 per day or $100.00 per week which includes breakfast, lunch, and snack.
- GTK Kids has some great activities planned for the summer. For example: field trips, arts/crafts, games, learning about 8 different countries, VBS at Schweitzer, and much more.
- Parents need to make weekly/daily reservations for GTK Kids. We are licensed for 50 children so we need to know how many will be here.
STUFF TO KNOW
- Grow to Know has a private Facebook page. We only have the families and staff from Grow to Know so “Like” us on Facebook. It is a great way for us to keep you updated quickly and efficiently. If you have specific concerns, contact the office.
- Join us at Schweitzer United Methodist Church on Sunday mornings. You are always welcome to worship at Schweitzer at 8:20, 9:40, or 11:00. (sumc.co). There is child care and programs for the children.
- GTK has many children with various food allergies. Talk to your child’s teacher if you are planning to bring snacks to school.
- If you want/need the teacher to apply any lotions, sunscreens, or give any type of medicine, you must complete a medical form. The teachers have the form or stop by the office.
- There is a $15.00 late fee for late payments. Check with the office if you have concerns about your GTK payments.
- Grow to Know Hours: 7:00-6:00. You will be charged a $1.00 a minute after 6:00 PM. For the 9:00-1:00 classes, you will be charged a $1.00 per minute for late pick-up after 1:00 PM.
- Please call if your child is going to be absent or will be arriving after 9:00.
- A $15.00 late fee is applied to late payments and balances carried over. If you have specific questions, contact the office.
Bible Verse for April: Genesis 1:1—In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
Calendar of Events:
4: Spring Concert in the sanctuary and Art Walk in the center. Concert begins @ 6:30
6,7: Spring Picures
14: Grow to Know Kids—Reserve a spot for your school age child.
15: Run for the Son 5K Run (One-third of the proceeds will be to GTK)
12: Muffins for Moms @7:00-8:30 AM
16: Pre-K Graduation @ 6:30
16: Donuts for Dads